Il Castello di Bibbione
In the heart of Tuscany, Chianti region, between
Florence and Siena
Erected by the Cadolingi
of Montecascioli, the Castle of Bibbione is documented in
the very ancient manuscripts from the year 997 by the name of Castrum
Bibionis. Surrounded by city walls, which in the past served
as a final defence for its inhabitants,
the Castle dominates a medieval village and ancient houses dot
the slope of the hill. Its
lands extend to below the Via Cassia and the Pesa River.
The foundations of the Castle go back to the 9th century and the
construction was completed in year 1000, while the first group
of stone farmhouses dates back to the latter half of the 13th
the Renaissance, the battlements were removed and the
fortification was then transformed into a country residence.
particularity of the Castle is the underground passage which
winds its way for hundreds of meters down to the river plain. This
secret passage, certainly used for supplies during the sieges,
has only been explored in its first section.
1124, the new owners of the land, the Buondelmonti,
restored the old ruined sentinel. Thus,
Bibbione became one of the four Buondelmonti Castles, connected
one to the other and constituting a quadrilateral in defence of
the Pesa Valley: the Bibbione Castle, the Montefiridolfi Castle,
the Pergolato and the S. Andrea ones at Fabbrica.
Moreover, the Buondelmonti family had a small church, Santa
Maria, built between the 12th and the 13th centuries next to the
walls of the Castle. In
the year 1142, they began the construction of
the shelter of San Jacopo of the Calzaiuoli for the pilgrims.
In 1469, the property was sold to Guido SforzaAldobrandeschi.
the year 1511, NiccolÚMachiavelli (who
possessed family estates about 6 km from Bibbione in SantíAndrea
in Percussina) bought the Castle and the farmland using it as a
remained in possession of the complex until 1727, when the last
heir, Francesco Machiavelli, died leaving his cousin, Giovanni
Battista Rangoni, a Modenese noble descendent of the
Machiavelli, heir to the name and inheritance, title and
heraldic arms of Machiavelli who took on the name of Rangoni
The entire complex remains bound from 1913, and therefore, under
the tutorship of the Superintendent of Culture, Environment and
Architecture of Florence and Pistoia.
Antonella Rangoni Machiavelli had
personally saw to the renovation of the Castle and medieval
village begun in 1985.